ASIST Training for Trainers (T4T)
ASIST T4T is a minimum five-day course that prepares local resource persons to be trainers of the ASIST workshop. There is a network of 5,000 active trainers around the world.
Essential Information for ASIST Trainer Candidates
ASIST trainers often rate the T4T course as one of the most rewarding, challenging and empowering learning programs they have attended. You will also find being an ASIST trainer very rewarding. Benefits aside, you need to know what you are getting into because becoming and maintaining the standards of a trainer are hard work. Prior to submitting an application for a T4T, all candidates must read Essential Information for ASIST Trainer Candidates. IMPORTANT: Be aware when making travel arrangements that candidates must attend all sessions of the five-day course.
ASIST Trainer Competencies
A willing trainer:
- recognizes that the participants, collectively, have much of the wisdom needed to become effective caregivers.
- recognizes that ASIST unfolds wisdom about intervention in ways that lead to deeper understanding and better integration.
- recognizes that teaching intervention skills should model key elements in an intervention such as cooperation, open and direct talk about suicide and an emphasis on relationships.
A ready trainer:
- values all forms of feedback but regards positive feedback as essential to the ASIST learning process.
- understands that almost anything a participant says or does contributes to the learning of all participants in the group.
- is confident that ASIST will help participants become more skilled suicide interveners.
An able trainer:
- balances safety and challenge during the workshop.
- can do a suicide intervention during the workshop in a way that is respectful of the person at risk and consistent with the principle of open, honest and direct communication about suicide.
- is committed to conducting ASIST in a manner that is, in all significant respects, consistent with the ASIST Manual and their learning experience at Training for Trainers.
- pursues ongoing learning and engages in self-reflection to improve the ASIST workshops they conduct.
- in working with other trainers, remains faithful to ASIST as well as being encouraging and supportive.
- values ASIST training and supports opportunities for more ASIST workshops to be conducted.
Course dates and applications
Questions and inquiries? Please contact the Registrar by phone at +1 (403) 209-0242 ext 229 or 1-888-733-5484 (toll free in NA) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For training dates in Australia, contact LivingWorks in Australia at 03 9894 1833.
Subscribe to an RSS feed to receive the latest update on new training available. They are listed automatically and save you a visit to our Website below.
OPEN = course is open to the public and spots are still available
CONTRACT = spots are available, however the course is private and only members of the organization may apply
FULL = no spots are available, however you can request to be put on the waiting list; course may or may not be private
November 5 - 9 , 2012: Denver CO - (FULL) - Waiting List
For US military personnel only. Contact the point of contact directly for information and registration.
October 15 - 19, 2012: Fort Drum - Cheryl Wehner: 315.772.9018
November 5 - 9, 2012: Fort Bliss - Debra Wiggins: 915-569-5721
March 18 - 22, 2013: Medford OR - (OPEN) - Register online
September 24 - 28, 2012: Ottawa ON - (FULL) - Waiting List
October 22 - 26, 2012: Winnipeg MB - (OPEN) - Register online
Oct 29 - Nov 3, 2012: Prince Albert SK - (OPEN) - Register online
November 19 - 23, 2012: St. John's NL - (OPEN) - Register online
February 4 - 8, 2013: Oakville ON - (OPEN) - Register online
21 - 25 Janvier, 2013: Ottawa ON - (OUVERT) - Enregistrez-vous en ligne
Organizations may contact LivingWorks Education to request a quote and available dates for a contracted ASIST T4T for groups of 15, 24 and 30 candidates. Please email your requests for quotes to email@example.com
ASIST T4T Lincolnshire UK November 5-9, 2012
£2450, deposit is payable at registration of £450
Fees cover your training, materials, hotel accommodation and meals (including Sunday night arrival) not included are drinks and transportation. If you are interested in registering for this class please contact Rita Blackler directly, Rita.Blackler@LPFT.nhs.uk